Re: RARA-AVIS: Neo-nah...

From: vhend1234@aol.com
Date: 30 Jun 2007

  In a message dated 6/29/2007 9:52:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, miker_zspider@yahoo.com writes:

Although Kevin is addressing the noir genre, in the end I don't think it's classification that he's talking about. It's quality.

miker

I understand he's taking issue with the quality, but he's also comparing some neo- to classic noir, saying the new noir doesn't live up to the standards. I doubt it's trying to. Obviously, there's a noir trend going on so publishers are applying the word liberally. I think it's both good and bad. The good is that the more any noir catches on, the more people will know the word, and the readership will grow for all the books. (I still can't use "noir lit" as the title of a class because people won't know enough to sign up.) The bad news is that books that are really more like horror might get popular and lower the status of the genre--the cost of popularity. Personally, I would like to sell lots of books, but keep the old "prestige." I don't think both can happen. Vicki