Re: RARA-AVIS: Neo-nah...

From: vhend1234@aol.com
Date: 29 Jun 2007

Hi, Kevin, Impressive editorial. I'm sitting here ticking off one book after another in my head trying to think if I committed any of the distasteful new features you mention! Pornographic maybe, but I think someone else brought that up. However, my point is that people write what they want and other people apply the names. When Miami Purity came out in '95, I never realized I was going to be classified as noir. When I heard the word, I figured it was somehow a
"literary" type crime, because the French word gave it some prestige. I really didn't know anything about noir in writing at all, other than reading Cain's novels. When I found out that's what I had written, I figured I'd better find out what it was. I had already written Iguana Love, at that point, and it turned out to be noir too. Then I wrote Voluntary Madness, which I thought was a love story, but it wasn't. It was crime or noir or whatever. So now I just call myself a crime writer or noir writer since everyone else is doing it. The author has no control over the classification. Vicki