RARA-AVIS: Re: Lack of PIs on TV

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 29 Jun 2007

Carrie wrote:

> I wonder if this development is about a general trend
> toward larger casts. Everything seems to be "ensemble" these days,
> and people working within police departments/FBI/CTU etc lend
> themselves more to that dynamic. In my recollection, the classic "PI"
> shows (Rockford, Columbo, etc) had a lead and a couple supporting
> characters, but most of the stories revolved around the 'case' which
> consisted of guest stars.
>
> Now I wonder if there is a trend toward largers 'casts' in PI fiction
> as well. Do people expect a more complicated web of relationships
> than the classic PI story provided?

Not really, but I would love to see an ensemble P.I. show.

SNOOPS, EYES and TOTAL SECURITY all tried it and flopped, but it seems something like Joe Gores' DKA stories would be naturals, especially if they could be done with the quality of HILL STREET BLUES, HOMICIDE or THE WIRE.

It would probably have to be done by HBO or Showtime or somebody like that, because the "Big Four" have no testicles any more. Or at least no desire to prove otherwise.

Kevin