Re: RARA-AVIS: Neo-nah...

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 29 Jun 2007

Kevin wrote:

"After reading a spate of recent books by some of the more highly touted practitioners of the "new noir," I've noticed something.
"Not in all of them, mind you, but in enough of them to be disturbed by what seems to be a trend. I hope not. Maybe I just hit a bad string of books (and no, i don't want to name them)."

Since when have you become so reticent?

"All the meanness and carnage of these soulless wallows comes off more like pornography than noir, at least to me."

While maybe more prominent, is that really so new? This sounds like the reaction I had 10-20 years ago to Rex Miller's Slob, one of the few books I stopped reading without finishing.

Mark