RARA-AVIS: Re: Lack of PIs on TV

From: caroli1975 ( karabair@gmail.com)
Date: 29 Jun 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, John Stickney <stickney_jj@...> wrote:

> Sorry, I did not note that in context the critic was talking about
the big four Networks - ABC, NBC, CBS & Fox.

Interesting! I wonder if this development is about a general trend toward larger casts. Everything seems to be "ensemble" these days, and people working within police departments/FBI/CTU etc lend themselves more to that dynamic. In my recollection, the classic "PI" shows (Rockford, Columbo, etc) had a lead and a couple supporting characters, but most of the stories revolved around the 'case' which consisted of guest stars.

Now I wonder if there is a trend toward largers 'casts' in PI fiction as well. Do people expect a more complicated web of relationships than the classic PI story provided?

-Carrie