RARA-AVIS: James

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 28 Jun 2007

mburch wrote:

Just because there are no car chases, explosions or gun play and no one is shot, garroted or chopped to pieces doesn't mean there isn't any action in James. He did write about ghosts, houses going up in flames, people dying from disease, betrayal, etc.

*************** I recently read Turn of the Screw, thinking that it might have had some noir themes in it. Near as I could tell, the major point of discussion concerning it is just exactly what happened. And I don't mean what happened in one isolated incident, but what was happening throughout the book. What happened to cause the little brat get thrown out of school? Is she seeing ghosts or imagining them? Did she choke the life out of the little monster at the end or did he just die of fright?
     Mario mentions that a novel requires a willing accomplice to be successful. I am more than willing to suspend disbelief and enter into their world. Ambiguity in character motivation and philosophical implication are well worth discussing. I've always got a lie to lend to something of that nature. But I cannot find any enthusiasm in playing a guessing game trying to sort out the continuous ambiguity in the events in Turn of the Screw.

miker

____________________________________________________________________________________ Got a little couch potato? Check out fun summer activities for kids. http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=oni_on_mail&p=summer+activities+for+kids&cs=bz