Re: RARA-AVIS: *Red Harvest*

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 27 Jun 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, DJ-Anonyme@... wrote:

> Nathan wrote:
>
> "Henry James wasn't subtle. He just wrote stories where nothing
> happened."
>
> He stole the idea from Seinfeld, a "show about nothing."

Nonsense. A more subtle novel than "What Maisie Knew" is hard to imagine. James was a tranquil writer, and it takes a tranquil (or at least tranquilized) reader to follow his fictions. He definitely requires an "accomplice" reader, but then, don't our beloved pulpsters require that, too? I certainly know quite a few people who find our kind of pulp story unreadable, a big pile of trash. Even Chandler and Hammett. Try and recommend Willeford (acknowledged as a modern master by us) to your average avid reader and then tell me the results...

Best,

MrT