Re: RARA-AVIS: Trouble Is My Business & Total Chaos

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 26 Jun 2007

On Jun 24, 2007, at 8:37 PM, DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net wrote:

> Kevin,
>
> Are you actually implying that Jim Steranko's comics were subtle?

Certainly more subtle and nuanced than Miller. Compare CHANDLER/RED RAIN to SIN CITY.

And John wrote;

> no, he means the more subtle work he did in the comic book.
> Batman, Year One
> is likewise a more literate piece of work than the later material
> Miller is
> more famous for.

Or THE DARK KNIGHT, which got some stuff right, but most of it wrong. And took too many pages to do it in. It was in your face just to be in your face.

YEAR ONE is the only thing that's impressed me from Miller in years. Owen will have his work cut out for him.

And yeah, there's nothing wrong with "over the top." But Marlowe isn't really an "over the top" kinda guy.

On the other hand, Miller would be perfect to helm a Mike Hammer film. It would be nice if someone made a really good one, finally.
(I'm not sure who the slick doofus in the sports car with the briefcase and the bomb was, but it certainly wasn't Mike Hammer).

Kevin