Re: RARA-AVIS: re: _Huck Finn_, the ending

From: Stephen Burridge ( stephen.burridge@gmail.com)
Date: 19 Jun 2007

I didn't say the book was anti-Semitic. I said the narrator's references to the Jewish character were anti-Semitic. That's too broad, I should have said something like, some of his put-downs of the guy are couched in somewhat anti-Semitic terms. I can certainly understand a younger Jewish reader being made uncomfortable. It's a while since I read it, but I recall being a little bugged by them myself, in a different way. (I'm middle aged and not Jewish.)

Stephen Burridge