RE: RARA-AVIS: early noir: British

From: Steve Svecz ( sveczs@wtcpl.org)
Date: 25 May 2007

One Man's Muddle by E.(leanor) Baker Quinn is really quite good as well as nearly impossible to find. (I got it through Inter Library Loan) Published some time in the mid 30's.

And what about Grahman Greene? Brighton Rock. This Gun for Hire.

And I couldn't agree more with Kersh's Night and the City as a great Noir read, but wasn't it published in 1946 or 47? Seems to fall outside your parameters. Or are you looking for 30s & 40s?

Steve Svecz

From: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com [mailto: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jay Gertzman Sent: Monday, May 21, 2007 9:49 PM To: rara avis Subject: RARA-AVIS: early noir: British

Can anyone add to these noirish titles by British writers, c. 1930-40?

--James Hadley Chase, _No Orchids for Miss Blandish_
--Gerald Kersh, _Night and the City_
--Francis Iles, _Before the Fact_
--Nicholas Blake (C S Lewis), _The Beast Must Die_; _Thou Shell of Death_ (based on _The Revengers Tragedy_, a Jacobean revenge play)
--D H Lawrence, _The Lovely Lady_ (novella)
--Marie Belloc Lowndes, _The Lodger_ (1913); _The Story of Ivy_