Re: RARA-AVIS: Last of the Mohicans

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 30 May 2007

Jess Nevins wrote:

Bird wrote it as a response to what he saw as the radically pro-native message of Cooper's fiction.

*********** Thanks for the heads-up on Bird. I'm not familiar with him. And yes, I'd agree with Bird that Last of the Mohicans was pro-native. With the classic "as long as your daughter doesn't marry one" disclaimer. Cooper wrote at a time when sympathy for the Indians was on the rise. Relatively speaking, of course.

A little before the War of 1812 Andrew Jackson had fairly thoroughly settled the score on some Indian massacres in the south, and soon afterwards the policy of moving the Indians west of the Mississippi was initiated, the infamous Trail of Tears.

miker

____________________________________________________________________________________Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel. http://travel.yahoo.com/