RARA-AVIS: Re: early noir: British

From: Richard Moore ( moorich@aol.com)
Date: 23 May 2007

I completely agree with Al's praise of Gerald Kersh. I had the good fortune to have a used book store clerk steer me to Kersh around 1961 or so--Night and the City, Prelude to a Certain Midnight and two short story collections. What a great discovery. Fred Brown was another writer willing to experiment...twist the form and ignore the boundaries.

Anyone know the status of Paul Duncan's biography of Kersh?

Richard Moore

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Allan Guthrie" <allan@...> wrote:

> Thanks, Ed.
>
> Kersh is nothing short of stunning. Weird, inventive, playful,
absurd and often over-the-top, but that's what I like. Hell of an underappreciated and hugely diverse writer.

> Al

Question of proof., There's trouble brewing., Smiler with the knife., Murder with malice., Minute for murder., Head of a traveler.,

> I've just ordered a copy through my library.
>
> And I just finished Kersh's Night and the City a couple nights
ago. Fantastic with spots of bizarre, surreal writing. Sometimes his style is so over the top to be funny. But mostly it just grips you by the throat. What a treat.

> Ed
>

> The Bibliothecary, a blog of literary endeavour.
> http://bibliothecary.squarespace.com/
>

> al_guthrie65 <allan@...> wrote:
> James Curtis THE GILT KID (1936)
>
> Didn't realise Nicholas Blake (Cecil Day Lews, by the way, not C
> Lewis) had written a book based on THE REVENGER'S TRAGEDY. Have
> get that.
>
> Al
>
> --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Jay Gertzman <jgertzma@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone add to these noirish titles by British writers, c.
1930-
> 40?
> >
> > --James Hadley Chase, _No Orchids for Miss Blandish_
> > --Gerald Kersh, _Night and the City_
> > --Francis Iles, _Before the Fact_
> > --Nicholas Blake (C S Lewis), _The Beast Must Die_; _Thou
Shell of