RARA-AVIS: Re: Everything's Noir?

From: Charlie Williams ( cs_will@hotmail.com)
Date: 21 May 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, JIM DOHERTY <jimdohertyjr@...> wrote:
> If "noir" means something different in film than it
> does in prose fiction, it's the only term in the
> entire mystery genre that means something different
> depending on the medium it's applied to.

Film and literature are two different things with their own sets of terminology. Of course they are independant of one another. Meanings bleed from one to the other but then take off on their own path, driven by discussion. That has plainly happened with "noir". I don't think it can be credibly denied that "noir" has connotations beyond "dark and sinister" when applied to books.

Charlie Williams

---------- charliewilliams.net