RARA-AVIS: Re: Everything's Noir?

From: crimeflix ( jmks100@aol.com)
Date: 20 May 2007

I know you've discussed the noir definition extensively on the list, so I won't get it it again, but--and this is just my take on it--dark and sinister is way to vague for a description of noir fiction. In France, I think dark and sinister works, but outside of France I believe noir has evolved to become something more specific. And I don't think it's absurd at all that film noir is different from book noir. Film noir doesn't just take into account subject matter; it also refers to mood and look and atmosphere. In book noir, I think it's all about character. That's why in (in my opinion) the Maltese Falcon book is not noir, but the film is. In France, both are noir.

______________Got a little couch potato?
> http://search.yahoo.com/search?
fr=oni_on_mail&p=summer+activities+for+kids&cs=bz