Re: RARA-AVIS: No Country for Old Men, the movie

From: Dave Zeltserman ( dz@hardluckstories.com)
Date: 20 May 2007

> The Big Lebowski is one of the best modern day Chandler homages ever
>
> John Lau

Coen Brother homages so far:

Bi Lebowski--Chandler Miller's Crossing--Hammett Blood Simple--Cain The Man Who Wasn't There--Thompson Hudsucker Proxy--Frank Capra

I'd rate all those very highly, as I would also O Brother Where Art Thou, which I love, but my favorite Coen Brother movie has to be Barton Fink. I also don't think the Ladykillers was that bad--while it was definitely a lesser Coen movie, there were some very nice touches to it--including the expression changes on the portrait. The only Coen Brother movie that I didn't like was Intolerable Cruelty. Maybe it was just expectations--if someone else made it I might've liked it somewhat but I expect great movies from them every time out.