Re: RARA-AVIS: Ken Bruen

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 18 May 2007

William wrote:

"Lately a lot of people describe Ken Bruen's work as neo-noir or noir. Do you read Bruen and agree with that? I've four or five of his books but noir? I don't think so."

I'd say it depends upon the book. The standalone novels -- Rilke on Black, Hackman Blues, Her Last Call to Louis Macniece, London Boulevard, Dispatching Baudelaire, and Bust, his collaboration with Jason Starr
(although that won't be a standalone soon) -- are definitely noir. I'd label the Brant books hardboiled, but not noir. The Jack Taylor books? I'd say they're both. Just ordered the most recent of those, Cross, from the UK.

Mark