noir comics/graphic novels (was Re: RARA-AVIS: recent reads)

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 18 May 2007

Kevin wrote:

"Yer right. I stand corrected. But I think the [Munoz and Sampaya] books were published in France. Or at least I discovered them through French editions."

I got mine in English, from Catalan Communications. First saw their work in Raw.

"But like I said, yer right. Montreal would, naturally, carry the French editions, but the entire European crime comic industry is well worth a peek. I've occasionally spotted Spanish, Italian and even Norwegian crime comics that make DC/Vertigo's line occasionally seem about as dangerous as a Gold Key Love Bug tie-in."

It's been a while since we've discussed comics/graphic novels and since I've visited a comic book store. So what's recommended among recent ones?

I did order the first volume of Charlie Houston's Moon Knight (haven't read it yet). I also saw on Domenic Stansberry's site that there's going to be a limited edition graphic novel on Dante Mancuso, but there was no ordering information, and I couldn't find a website for the publishers, Black River Books. Anyone know more about this?

Mark