RARA-AVIS: Theakstons Old Peculier

From: Sandra Ruttan ( sandra.ruttan@spinetinglermag.com)
Date: 17 May 2007

The long list for the Theakstons Old Peculier prize, given out at Harrogate Crime Festival in July, has been announced. You can vote online. The shortlist of six is then selected and there's a second round of voting.

The nominees:

Dead Place by Stephen Booth All Fun and Games Until Somebody Loses an Eye by Christopher Brookmyre Death of a Chancellor by David Dickinson Never Go Back by Robert Goddard Two Way Split by Allan Guthrie Little Face by Sophie Hannah Ash & Bone by John Harvey The Stranger House by Reginald Hill The Pure in Heart by Susan Hill Blood and Honey by Graham Hurley The Lighthouse by PD James The Death Ship of Dartmouth by Michael Jecks Cold Granite by Stuart MacBride The Train Excursion by Edward Marston Ratcatcher by James McGee After the Armistice Ball by Catriona McPherson Dance with Death by Barbara Nadel Jacquot and the Angel by Martin O'Brien End in Tears by Ruth Rendell Mr. Clarinet by Nick Stone

Vote Here: http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/navigate.do?pPageID=1319

My congrats to all. I'm posting this here because at least one Rara-Avis regular, Allan Guthrie, is on the list. I am particularly pleased to see his nomination, as it's good to see something truly on the hardboiled/noir end of the spectrum being noticed.

In general, when I see the lists for a lot of awards it seems they pick up what I'd call the comfortable middle ground. In Canada that means the cozies.

I hope in Al's case this means reaching a wider audience.

Cheers, Sandra