Re: RARA-AVIS: recent reads

From: Kerry J. Schooley ( gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com)
Date: 17 May 2007

At 07:24 AM 17/05/2007, Nathan Cain wrote:

>The Follower reminded me of Bret Easton Ellis' work, but without a lot of
>the pretension. Starr's work has been moving more and more toward having a
>mass appeal. He has specialized in writing about shallow, callow, selfish
>characters, and he's done it well, very well, in fact. For all her
>cluelessness, I think Katie Porter is his most sympathetic character ever,
>and I think this novel has the most commercial appeal of anything he's
>written. If it does turn out to be a big success, it will certaintly be well
>deserved one.

Yeah, I thought about the American Psycho angle too, though the key question there was the difference between fantasy and reality- was the protagonist merely imagining performing violent acts, or was he carrying them out. In The Follower I don't think there's any question the antagonist is a committing the acts. The question is more one about determining what constitutes appropriate, possibly even moral behavior in an environment where a central authorative voice is in decline (and may never have been as definitive as claimed.) When and where are lines crossed when the lines are blurred.

Best, Kerry

------------------------------------------------------ Literary events Calendar (South Ont.) http://www.lit-electric.com The evil men do lives after them http://www.murderoutthere.com