Re: RARA-AVIS: recent reads

From: Nathan Cain ( IndieCrime@gmail.com)
Date: 17 May 2007

The Follower reminded me of Bret Easton Ellis' work, but without a lot of the pretension. Starr's work has been moving more and more toward having a mass appeal. He has specialized in writing about shallow, callow, selfish characters, and he's done it well, very well, in fact. For all her cluelessness, I think Katie Porter is his most sympathetic character ever, and I think this novel has the most commercial appeal of anything he's written. If it does turn out to be a big success, it will certaintly be well deserved one.