RARA-AVIS: Re: Are unpublished novels best left unpublished?

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 16 May 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "George Tuttle" <noirfiction@...> wrote:

> Is it true that a good book will always find a publisher? If it is
> true, are unpublished novels best left unpublished, like for example
> Jim Thompson's The Rip-Off? I liked this posthumously-published novel.
> It had the quirkiness of The Golden Gizmo, but a tighter, stronger plot.
>
> I am a believer that the literary marketplace is not that fair, but I
> am curious how others feel.

Think Franz Kafka... And Gabriel Garcíˇ MᲱuez had _lots_ of rejections (more than 20, IIRC) for his masterpiece _One Hundred Years of Solitude_ before somebody took it. He could have concluded that it was unpublishable and left it in a drawer, unpublished. The same goes for Lampedusa's _Il Gattopardo_, very difficult to publish and he could have just let it lie, which I think he came close to.

I don't think the marketplace is fair, even less so today than it was decades ago.

Best,

MrT