RARA-AVIS: Jean Rae Baxter

From: Kerry J. Schooley ( gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com)
Date: 14 May 2007

Canuck Noir writer Jean Rae Baxter has just received a glowing review of her short story collection "A Twist of Malice" from Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine
(<http://www.themysteryplace.com/eqmm/jury/>http://www.themysteryplace.com/eqmm/jury/), going so far as to compare her with Joyce Carol Oates. Breen says:
"Baxter has the storytellers knack of gripping the reader throughout, and she brings her characters to life in economical strokes."

Okay, I'm gonna declare my bias and blow my own horn here too
(again.) I selected a couple of these stories for the Canuck Noir anthologies mentioned on the list earlier, and had the honour of editing this collection as well. So I heartily recommend it, but now you don't have to take my word for it.

Baxter is now working on a darkly criminal novel scheduled to come out next fall, titled "Cardenio." One of collection's stories has already been presented as a play, over the past year. Jean is worth watching.

Best, Kerry

------------------------------------------------------ Literary events Calendar (South Ont.) http://www.lit-electric.com The evil men do lives after them http://www.murderoutthere.com