Re: RARA-AVIS: Gun Crazy

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 10 May 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Michael Robison <miker_zspider@...> wrote:

> William Ahearn wrote:
>
> I really like Graham Greene's writings. And one of my
> favorite films in "The Third Man." Are you thinking
> of Stamboul Train?

> I'm not sure what the name of it was. I'm down in
> Atlanta, Georgia right now and can't just slide in and
> scour the bookshelf and find out.
>
> I am not a big Greene fan but I think The Power and
> the Glory is great. It's one of the few books I've
> read twice. It is a great example of Christian noir.

I highly recommend Greene's short stories, conveniently available in one fat volume. They give a very clear idea of the complete writer that Greene was. Several are masterpieces, most notably _The Basement Room_ (made into the classic film The Fallen Idol). I have heard Greene described as "Conrad lite" but that is a mistake. He was his own man. When it comes to moving a psychological story along, Greene has few peers.

Best,

Mario