Re: DETOUR (was: RARA-AVIS: Gun Crazy)

From: AP McQuiddy ( damncrazygringo@yahoo.com)
Date: 07 May 2007

Yup, I've heard that before, William --- and can certainly see how DETOUR must be considered *among* the first, if not THE first Noir.

  I ran into Ann Savage when I was still working at Scarecrow Video (a filmbuff's paradise, if ever there was one), and got about the equivalent of a Bachelor's in Film Studies, in those 3 years' employment.

  Ulmer is very cool, and I suspect there must be Noir Scholars who suggest our little genre of interest came directly out of the German Expressionist filmschool.

  Oh, and "Welcome aboard", amigo!

  Best an' all,
  -----------------------ap

William Ahearn < williamahearn@yahoo.com> wrote:

--- AP McQuiddy < damncrazygringo@yahoo.com> wrote:

> DETOUR is definitely a Must See for any Noir fan.
> Got to meet Ann Savage a few years back, but
> unfortunately wasn't prepared to interview her at
> the moment...

Some consider it the first noir film. Edgar G. Ulmer
-- who had worked with the German expressionists -- shot it in something like 6 days.

William

Essays and Ramblings
<http://www.williamahearn.com>