Re: RARA-AVIS: Gun Crazy

From: William Ahearn ( williamahearn@yahoo.com)
Date: 03 May 2007

--- Michael Robison < miker_zspider@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Just watched this. The intro said it was based on a
> short story, so I figured it worth mentioning. It
> didn't really have the classic dark and sinister
> noir
> lighting and scenery, but the story line was pure
> noir. I'm not a movie expert, but it seemed better
> quality than what I think of as a B movie. A Bonnie
> and Clyde forerunner. I'd recommend it. Not half
> bad.

Hey,

I'm new here and I'm supposed to lurk for awhile . . . but I loved Gun Crazy. The location shooting makes the flick wothwhile. The bank robbery scene -- actually, the whole movie -- inspired a lot of the French new wave and especially Godard's Breathless. It is classic noir in that a weak man is brought to his demise by an amoral woman. Typical of the form ala The Postman Always Rings Twice, Detour, Out of the Past and many, many others. Sorry to jump in so soon and all but I love this genre and this movie. In some ways -- not all -- Bonnie and Clyde is a tad overblown. That's a call that could be debated and I respect the opposing view. But Gun Crazy is a sweet little movie that has some great cinematography and a classic cinema noir plot. It's a true must see if you want to explore the genre.

OK. I'm calm now. I'll go back to lurking.

William

Essays and Ramblings
<http://www.williamahearn.com>

____________________________________________________________________________________ Looking for earth-friendly autos? Browse Top Cars by "Green Rating" at Yahoo! Autos' Green Center. http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/