Re: RARA-AVIS: Elements of the perfect hardboiled crime novel

From: Jeff Vorzimmer ( jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 06 May 2007

> Jeff Vorzimmer wrote:
>
> I might have over-looked some essential elements and
> I'm sure others will point them out.

Actually I thought of another myself to make it an even ten.

10. A lurid cover featuring a scantily-clad woman and a gun.

This was the element of hardboiled fiction that was lost on Barry Gifford with his Black Lizard imprint. His covers always remind me of cozies rather than pulp fiction. I'm glad that Hard Case Crime got it right.

Jeff