Re: RARA-AVIS: Elements of the perfect hardboiled crime novel

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 06 May 2007

Jeff Vorzimmer wrote:

I might have over-looked some essential elements and I'm sure others will point them out.

************ A formula is not an outlandish concept, and I'd say that you did a great job knocking out a list. Frank Gruber outlined a similar formula in his Pulp Jungle. He was told by a very successful fellow writer (Max something-or-other) that it was also necessary to make the hero bad and the criminal good, and then to work them back where they belonged. I'm not so sure I buy that, but it sounds interesting.

miker