RARA-AVIS: This Far, No Further

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 May 2007

I finished this novel by John Wessel a few days ago. I've had it sitting on the shelf for a couple years now. It's set in Chicago and centered around a private investigator without a license, doing surveillance work for a firm based in Schaumburg, a suburb about 20 miles from downtown Chicago. It all went well for the first hundred pages, the characters, the dialogue, and the plotting, but after that it went downhill. The plot not only got overly complex, but it also tied in to a past event in the detective's life in a thin and unconvincing connection. When it ended, half the mysteries in the book were left unexplained. Probably the high point was the protagonist's self-deprecating humor.

miker