MacKinlay Kantor (was: RARA-AVIS: The story "Gun Crazy")

From: AP McQuiddy ( damncrazygringo@yahoo.com)
Date: 04 May 2007

Recently stumbled upon the author's ONE WILD OAT, but don't know when I'll have time to read it.

  Anyone know if it's worthwhile...?

  Ciao for niao,

Juri Nummelin < juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi> wrote:
          The short story on which Lewis's film is based on was written by MacKinlay Kantor who's a respected author in mainstream circles
(mainly based on his Civil War novels, such as ANDERSONVILLE, 1955). The story was originally published in Saturday Evening Post and it's reprinted at least in THE POCKET BOOK OF ADVENTURE STORIES (ed. by Philip Von Stern, 1945). It's also in Kantor's AUTHOR'S CHOICE (1944), but I don't know how easily that can be found.

In Kantor's story, the characters are called Nelson Tare and Antoinette McReady, and she disappears from the scene after the first pages, after luring Nelson into a life of crime. The short story begins with a longish flashback into Nelson's childhood and about his lost father. In the story he's arrested at home alone, not with her. The short story also takes place in the 1920's, not the fourties like the film.

Juri http://pulpetti.blogspot.com

--------------------------------- Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?
 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.