RARA-AVIS: Re: Greetings from a New Member!

From: uplandharmabooks ( uplandharmabooks@yahoo.com)
Date: 02 May 2007

Hi Annick-

Greetings from middle America (Indiana)! I'd like to suggest a few authors you might like to check out: Jim Thompson, David Goodis, Charles Willeford, and a current writer, James Ellroy. These guys are all dark and hard-boiled and their stories take place in the era you're looking for (with the exception of Willeford who wrote up into the 80s). I'll also throw Charles Williams out as a suggestion; his earlier stuff is his best, I feel, and his stories are more noir-ish than hard-boiled. One other that I like to mention whenever I can is
"Branded Woman" by Wade Miller. Written in 1952 it features a female protagonist who is a toughie and can hold her own; it's also quite dark and I classify it as roman noir.

And I second the advice of reading whatever Al suggests. He's spot on with his recommendations!

Amy peace