RARA-AVIS: Greetings from a New Member!

From: nakedcitydame ( calliope67@hotmail.com)
Date: 30 Apr 2007

Hello everyone,

 Very excited to be a part of this group. I have long been a fan of FILM Noir, but just recently started actually READING it. When I tell you I'm a librarian you may think that declaration a bit odd. My equal passions are films and books, I toggle back and forth between them. I consider myself a femme fatale at heart, but a librarian by day, just to keep myself out of trouble.
 I am a fan of the Chandler, Cain school of noir writing and I really enjoy when I can find a modern writer that captures this style. I think I may have found one in Megan Abbott. I have read some of the postings about her on this board and I am glad you regard her as highly as I do. I particularly like the "voice" that she gives her characters. Her command of the noir language is dead on. I read Die a Little first, just finished The Song is You. Die.. really impressed me, The Song... just blew me away. Can't wait unitl Queenpin is released, I've already pre-ordered it on Amazon.com!
 I would really appreciate some reading suggestions for authors I should read next, if I like Megan Abbott's stories. I prefer stories that are set in the noir era, late '40s and '50s, that really capture that "voice" that is reminiscent of the writing style from that period in time. If I had to make a choice, The Song is You comes closer to my preferred storyline. Gil Hopkins reminds me of a Phillip Marlowe type, disillusioned but not yet ready to give up, still searching for the truth.
 I look forward to reading this groups opinions and analyses and hope I can contribute something that will be worth reading as well.

  Sincerely,

  Annick