Re: RARA-AVIS: Get Carter

From: John Williams ( johnwilliams@ntlworld.com)
Date: 24 Apr 2007

T. Kent Morgan wrote:

      I also managed to find the DVD with the same photo of Caine in a discount store in the Doncaster city centre. In the film, the setting is moved from Doncaster to Newcastle.

Actually the book is set in the even bleaker and smaller town of Scunthorpe (a town whose name has a hard time getting past Internet obscenity filters), Doncaster is just a stop on the journey

     The original book under the title of Jack Return's Home was published by Michael Joseph in Great Britain in 1970. I have never come across a copy of the book with the original title in either England or Canada. I have found PBs of two other Lewis books, Billy Rags and Jack Carter and the Mafia Pigeon that were published in PB by Sphere Books in the UK in the late1970s. Found both at hospital book sales in Winnipeg, not in the UK. Maybes omeone like John Williams could jump in, but my feeling is that the Lewis books aren't that easy to find in used bookstores in England.

I have a Michael Joseph Jack's Return Home, lucky me, so can attest to its existence. There was also an 80s pb reissue by Robinson that kept the original title. As for finding Lewis books now, the originals are very scarce and the 90s reissues going fast. There are copies still available via amazon.co.uk of most of them, but I'd advise anyone interested to pick them up sooner rather than later.

John