Re: RARA-AVIS: Get Carter

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 23 Apr 2007

Kent wrote:

"The original book under the title of Jack Return's Home was published by Michael Joseph in Great Britain in 1970. I have never come across a copy of the book with the original title in either England or Canada."

I've got a 1971 movie tie-in paperback titled Get Carter.

"I have found PBs of two other Lewis books, Billy Rags and Jack Carter and the Mafia Pigeon that were published in PB by Sphere Books in the UK in the late 1970s."

Good find on the Mafia Pigeon. As far as I know, that's the last publishing of it and Jack Carter's Law, both of which I was lucky enough to find about 10-15 years ago at Kate's Mystery Bookstore (or whatever the offical name is) in Boston. They had obviously been sitting on the shelves for quite some time. I think Billy Rags is still in print in the UK, having been republished not too long ago, along with Plender. Rabbit is also is print, as I recently bought it from Amazon.co.uk, adding it to my order of Derek Raymond's Nightmare in the Streets and a couple of UK-only Bruens.

"Found both at hospital book sales in Winnipeg, not in the UK. Maybe someone like John Williams could jump in, but my feeling is that the Lewis books aren't that easy to find in used bookstores in England."

I've only rarely seen Lewis in US used bookstores. Have lucked into the aforementioned Get Carter, Grevious Bodily Harm and Boldt, but those were all a loooooong time ago and I still look for his books whenever I'm in a store. Picked up a paperback of his first, literary novel, All the Way Home and All the Night Through cheap on ebay some time ago, too.

The DVD of the Hodges/Caine Get Carter is easy to find around here (DC suburbs), picked mine up in a Borders, didn't even have to order it. I also have the UK CD of the soundtrack, which comes very nicely packaged with a 9 x 12 repro of the film's poster and a booklet containing some nice stills and three essays, including one by Hodges.

Mark