RARA-AVIS: Re:A Time of Predators

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 22 Apr 2007

Harry,

Re your question below:

"I've heard nothing but favorable things about [A TIME OF PREDATORS]. I'm looking forward to reading it, I'm just curious if anyone has read it recently and might have some thoughts about it."

Great book. A well-deserved Edgar for Best First Novel of '69.

The book had a particular resonance for me since I grew up in the Bay Area, in one of the Peninsula suburbs.

ALthough Gores doesn't specifically ID the university, it's clearly Stanford. The chief villain is a college student (or at least he occasionally attends classes) at the College of San Mateo (which Gores refers to simply as "the JC").

The basic situation, though without the academic setting, was recycled years later in another Gores book, DEAD MAN.

JIM DOHERTY