RARA-AVIS: Canadain Noir

From: T. Kent Morgan ( tkmorgan@shaw.ca)
Date: 14 Apr 2007

Mark wrote:

On a recent episode of Blood Ties, an odd Lifetime series that teams a female PI with a vampire, a suspect's rap sheet included his part in the
"Montreal biker wars," so we're starting to get references to crime up there. This show is supposedly based on a series of books (can't remember who by). Wonder if they were set in Canada?

-

The first episode of The Sopranos last Sunday had several references to Canada as Tony and his underling Bobby (??) were at a lake near the Canadian border. They had to meet with "the Canadians" who were from Quebec and when they did, Winnipeg was mentioned. It would be a spoiler to mention another connection to Canada.

John Farrow wrote a well-received thriller set in Montreal titled City of Ice. The main character is detective Emile Cinq-Mars. Rival biker gangs, the Russian Mafia and the CIA all are involved along with a victim who is dressed up as Santa Claus and left hanging from a meat hook on Christmas Eve. Will that description get anyone on the list looking for a copy?

Here in the Murder Capital of Canada a trial is underway related to a gun battle between the Mad Cowz and African Mafia gang that resulted in the death of 19-year-old boy walking home after buying groceries. In another trial of a Hell's Angel member the teenage son of an informant just told the court how his father had called him up and ordered him to go to a burger joint and go in a bathroom stall. Here's part of his testimony.

"I recognized it was my father because when he kicked it (a wad of cash -
$5,000) I recognized his shoe. I then put it down my pants, waited a few minutes and then sat down and ate a burger."

He further testified that he was allowed to keep $100 for a job well done. He claimed to have no knowledge at the time of his dad's involvement with the police project and isn't particularly interested in the court case.

"I don't care what's going on right now. I have to live a life," he said.

Plenty of fodder in this city for potential authors.

Kent Morgan