RARA-AVIS: Re: A French HARD CASE CRIME

From: hardcasecrime ( editor@hardcasecrime.com)
Date: 13 Apr 2007

It's true: We've teamed up with J'ai Lu to create a French version of Hard Case Crime. The logo is not exactly the same -- they've separated the crown-and-gun logo from the words "Hard Case Crime" and rearranged the elements slightly -- but it's certainly recognizable. And the books won't all be the same either. The first three titles did also all appear in our U.S. line, but in the future J'ai Lu will also bring out French editions of books we did not publish here. And who knows? One of these days we might bring out an English edition of a book by some French author they introduce us to...

Oddly, they aren't using pulp-style painted covers in France, since they believe the style wouldn't be popular there. But the illustrations they're using instead are quite handsome and I've been delighted with the three I've seen so far.

--Charles
-------------- Charles Ardai Editor, Hard Case Crime

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "E. Borgers" <webeurop@...> wrote:

> I discovered that a pocketbooks publisher in France (J'ai Lu) is
advertising the three first titles of a series called HARD CASE CRIME.
> After checking, it appears that it uses an identical logo and
that the 3 titles belong to the US collection of the same name.

> What is the exact role of the American HARD CASE CRIME in this?
> Just an output for the originals (as Stanberry's " Confession"),
and some not yet translated old HB titles (providing the translation rights belong to HCC) ?

> Thanks for any information on the future of what looks like a
franchise (or a joint-venture?).