Re: RARA-AVIS: Malet and Tardi

From: Steve Novak ( Cinefrog@comcast.net)
Date: 28 Mar 2007

Most of Tardi�s work is absolutely outstanding and especially some of his non-Malet work...Of course the Brouillard au Pont de Tolbiac (Casterman 82), from Malet�s book, is a standard and several others in that series are too, but consider simply the magnificent Voyage Au Bout de la Nuit from C�line�s famous book (Gallimard-Futuropolis-1988) which is as noir as the book itself, or the 4 volumes saga of the Commune from the book by Vautrin and whose fourth volume was called Le Cri du Peuple and was published by Casterman in 2004, who are a very noir rendition of this dark episode of French history...or his series called Griffu in the magazine BD which had text from JP Manchette... In the world of graphic novels with a connection to crime stories (noir or not) Tardi is a leading figure worlwide for almost 25 years...

For those interested in this graphic novel�s master go and check this website in English: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_Tardi....or this one also in English with many pictures simply Google Tardi and you�ll find many answers and books in English...

In my mind this as important in the graphic novel/crime stories world as the Hard Looks series and compilations from Dark Horse Comics in early 90�s with text from A. Vachss (then at his best) and many excellent artists...

Le Montois de D�troit cinefrog@comcast.net