RARA-AVIS: Eye of the Archangel

From: Jeff Vorzimmer ( jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 08 Apr 2007

Just finished Max Philips Eye of the Archangel (written under the Forrest DeVoe pseudonym) and I have to say I'm impressed with his recreation of Monaco of 1963. Like the previous Mallory & Morse offering, Into the Volcano, the two halves of the book are set in different locales. The second half of Archangel is set in the "evil lair" of the villain in the Swiss Alps. If this makes the book sound like a 60s spy spoof, it is, but fear not, the book never stoops to the satirical silliness of Derek Flint or Austin Powers movies. In fact the villains in these first two novels are much more three-dimensional and less comic-book-like than even Ian Fleming's, though no less megalomaniacal.

As I mentioned in a previous posting, Mallory & Morse are like an American version of The Avengers and, in fact, are set during the same time period. There is also a little bit of Modesty Blaise in the character of Laura Morse and a little bit of Matt Helm in Jack Mallory. So, if you're a fan of the aforementioned characters of the 60s, I recommend this book. I enjoyed both of them every bit as much as anything that was actually written in the 60s.

Jeff