Re: RARA-AVIS: Butterfly

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 06 Apr 2007

Vicki wrote:

Butterfly feels to me like Cain trying to imitate Cain. I enjoyed the sleaziness of it, but it's lacking something in depth. Try Serenade if you want Cain at his best.

*********** I agree with the Cain imitating Cain comment. Maybe with a little Erskine Caldwell thrown in? In The Postman, sex was a big motivating factor, but it was closely tied to a naturalistic theme that rang big and true. In Butterfly, the lurid sexual motif overpowered everything else, "lacking in depth" as you so accurately put it.

miker

____________________________________________________________________________________ Don't pick lemons. See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos. http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html