RARA-AVIS: Re: Richard Wormser

From: Richard Moore ( moorich@aol.com)
Date: 06 Apr 2007

After reading the autobiography (HOW TO BECOME A COMPLETE NONENTITY) of Richard Wormser, pulp writer, screen writer and novelist, I looked him up on the Internet Movie Database (Imdb) and was surprised to see him listed as the producer of a documentary aired on PBS years after his death.

A little research turned up the second Richard Wormser and I submitted a correction to Imdb and the error has been eliminated. I was interested enough to order the companion book to the young Mr. Wormser's series "The Rise and Fall of Jim Crow" and am glad I did. It is a fine history with many striking photographs.

The older Wormser's autobiography was published just last year by a nephew in a POD edition from iUniverse. It is frustrating in many ways and does not even mention his Gold Medal novels. I suspect it was an early draft to which Wormser did not return to complete or polish. But I still enjoyed it quite a bit, especially his recollections of writing for the pulps such as Argosy and his years as a screenwriter for Columbia, Universal and Republic. He also wrote an interesting cook book (SOUTWEST COOKERY Doubleday 1969) with many recipes I might try and some I won't, such as that for Morcilla de Cabrito, even if I could find a quart of kid's blood.

Richard Moore

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, DJ-Anonyme@... wrote:

> Steve,
>
> Thanks for separating the two Wormsers. Yet more evidence that any
> facts gathered from the internet should be corroborated. Here's
another
> bio of Wormser the documentarian (with no credit for the other
Wormser's