Re: RARA-AVIS: The Talented Mr. Ripley

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 02 Apr 2007

Patrick King wrote:

Ripley may be a genius, but he is absolutely insane.

************ Judging from your post, I'd say that you might be extrapolating your insanity charge from a combination of several in the series. You've got me at a disadvantage there. I was speaking from the context of just the one book. There were hints in that direction, the panic attacks, the often inadequate and distant relationships, and the consummate way in which he assumes Dickie's identity. But for the most part Ripley seems rational, his assessment of people and himself on target, and his motives for murder primarily aimed at a pragmatic solution to his desire to live well without having to work for it.

miker

____________________________________________________________________________________ TV dinner still cooling? Check out "Tonight's Picks" on Yahoo! TV. http://tv.yahoo.com/