Re: RE : Re: RARA-AVIS: Who changed the noir writing ?

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 02 Apr 2007

Dave Zeltserman wrote: I guess you could argue Lou Ford and Nick Corey are complex--although describing them as deeply psychotic would be more accurate.
*********** I think we're arguing semantics, here. Isn't a "deeply psychotic" personality a complex personality? I don't think a psychotic can ever be a simplistic personality even if one is operating at a less than intelligent level of processing information. Once you hit the psychotic thinking pattern you get that "oo-ee-oo" sense which lets you know this is not going to be a matter that can easily be resolved. I know a car sales man who is completely psychotic. He's not anti-social yet, but he is amoral. He believes and acts from the reality that he's charming, well-read, and well-educated. He is none of these things by any stretch of anyone else's imagination, but he is convinced of these beliefs. To know him, he's an idiot, but he's a very complex personality and I can imagine his behavior escalating if anthing happens to create any real doubts in his self-delusion. This is what we watch happen to Lou Ford, and Ford, as he's portrayed in The Killer Inside Me, is a much more intelligent man than my acquaintence.

Patrick King

____________________________________________________________________________________ Never miss an email again! Yahoo! Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail arrives. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/