RARA-AVIS: Lynds and Charteris

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 02 Apr 2007

Jim D:

"BTW, Dennis Lynds once told me that, while Halliday had nothing really to do with the Shayne short stories that appeared in MSMM, he at least made some contribution on the novels. The "collaboration" might not have amounted to much, but he put something of his into the books."

When Lynds was a guest here, I asked him about a single book, called THE CORPSE THAT NEVER WAS. It had been suspected to be written by Lynds, but he said that he'd only written the short story under that title (or at least with the same story) and that Halliday wrote the novel based on it.

"As for Leslie Charteris, he was always up-front about his ghosts."

Well, not always. It's been suspected that some of his novels that appeared in the fourties were written by people like Henry Kuttner (KING OF THE BEGGARS) and Theodore Sturgeon. David Pringle has offered very plausible explanations why these could've been written by the said ghosts. And mind you, there are some people who still claim that Harry Harrison never wrote a Saint novel!

Juri