Re: RE : Re: RARA-AVIS: Who changed the noir writing ?

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 Apr 2007

Mark wrote: I'm not sure I so much identify with them, except for a touch of "there but for the grace of God [or fear of punishment, God's or man's] go I," as I can't look away from the car crash of their lives so finely told by Cain
******* But that's exactly what makes them complex. Most people are like you. They won't take an obsession that far for fear they'll get caught. I'm not saying Frank
& Cora are complicated characters, I'm saying they're complex; they push the envelope out of desperation, too much of nothing. This is the complexity of all noir characters. Unlike us, they take an opportunity which any of us would say has too great a risk factor and they do it. That's where the story is. When I say they're complex characters, I'm not saying they're intelligent, although some are. Lou Ford in The Killer Inside Me, I'd say was very intelligent. His disadvantage is that he's also insane. This is also the problem with Cora, who's a pretty intellignet woman. She enjoys lust but she's not controlled by it the way Frank is. She's driven by ambition, maybe just ambition for happyness. She was born with nothing, married an old man for a little security and found that security was all she had. She's only hanging with Frank until he burns out, and Frank knows that. That's part of his attraction to her. These relationships are full of complexity and the decisions that are made are built on complexity. To reduce the whole motiveation to lust is missing why the lust exists in the first place. Cora is looking for someone impetuous who'll help her do murder. After the murder and their legal escape, that's when Frank has his work cut out for him. On some level he may very well have murdered Cora.

____________________________________________________________________________________ The fish are biting. Get more visitors on your site using Yahoo! Search Marketing. http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/arp/sponsoredsearch_v2.php