RE : Re: RARA-AVIS: Who changed the noir writing ?

From: Dave Zeltserman ( dz@hardluckstories.com)
Date: 30 Mar 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Patrick King <abrasax93@...> wrote:

> miker wrote:
>
> Complexity of character is not what makes the reader
> identify with the protagonists in The Postman Always
> Rings Twice, Killer Inside of Me and a lot of other
> noirs.

> Oh, yeah? It's certainly what allows me to identify
> with them. Shallow characters lose me third chapter,
> tops. What do you think does, then?
>
> Patrick King

I guess you could argue Lou Ford and Nick Corey are complex--although describing them as deeply psychotic would be more accurate. And the thrill of Killer Inside Me and Pop. 1280 is that it's vicariously invigorating to get inside the head of crazy man (especially when you're suckered into it). The protagonists from Double Indemnity, Postman, and several of Thompsons better books, "After Dark, My Sweet", and I think you could make the case for some of his borderline sociopaths: Carl Bigelow and "Dolly" Dillon, are mostly average joes, somewhat shallow, but what makes these books so captivating is we can identify with these characters (to some extent), and dread the bad choices that they keep making.

--Dave Z.