Re: RE : Re: RARA-AVIS: Who changed the noir writing ?

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 30 Mar 2007

miker wrote: Complexity of character is not what makes the reader identify with the protagonists in The Postman Always Rings Twice, Killer Inside of Me and a lot of other noirs.
************ Patrick replied:

Oh, yeah? It's certainly what allows me to identify with them. Shallow characters lose me third chapter, tops. What do you think does, then?

I'm with miker. How complex are Frank and Cora in Postman? They seem pretty simple, with a simple motivation, lust. And it's that simplicity, and transparency, that makes them fascinating characters as they follow their lust to murder, then have their plans unravel. I'm not sure I so much identify with them, except for a touch of "there but for the grace of God [or fear of punishment, God's or man's] go I," as I can't look away from the car crash of their lives so finely told by Cain.

Mark