Re: RARA-AVIS: Shaft

From: James Reasoner ( james53@flash.net)
Date: 30 Mar 2007

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Wohlforth" < timwohlforth@opendoor.com> To: < rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Friday, March 30, 2007 1:14 PM Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Shaft

> Didn't Dennis Lynds (maybe even Gayle) write Mike Shayne novels? I
> once worked decades ago for a NYC magazine publisher that included
> The Saint Magazine in its stable. Of course Charteris never wrote a
> word of it or edited any of it. I did meet him once when he visited
> the office.
>
> Tim

Dennis Lynds wrote Shayne novellas for MIKE SHAYNE MYSTERY MAGAZINE, two or three of which he expanded into full-length Shayne novels. I don't believe Gayle ever had any connection with the character. At least two other authors ghosted Shayne novels: Ryerson Johnson and Robert Terrall. Others probably did, too. And numerous people wrote Shayne stories for the magazine as well.

James Reasoner