RARA-AVIS: Re: Is Oprah the Kiss of Death at Rara-Avis--THE ROAD

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 29 Mar 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Bludis Jack <buildsnburns@...> wrote:

> I picked this up on-line today.
>
> <CHICAGO (AP) -- Don't expect a lot of sunshine in Oprah
> Winfrey's latest book club pick. Publishing's leading
> hit-maker has chosen Cormac McCarthy's ''The Road,'' a
> bleak, apocalyptic novel by an author who rarely talks to
> the media.
>
> <''It is so extraordinary,'' Winfrey said Wednesday. ''I
> promise you, you'll be thinking about it long after you
> finish the final page.''>
>
> Is that the kiss of death for Rara-Avians?

Not at all. It's good. A while ago she recommended one of the great Steinbeck books (I think it was East of Eden), which of course shot up the charts. I asked here, innocently, how this could be, and was informed that Oprah had lent her weight to Steinbeck. Hell, if this book club promotes the good stuff, I am not going to complain. I am sure that Cormac McCarthy is not about to complain, either.

Best,

MrT (who hopes this doesn't appear nine times like my Couffignal plug)