Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: any circus or carnival noirs

From: AP McQuiddy ( damncrazygringo@yahoo.com)
Date: 29 Mar 2007

In addition to those Todd mentions (and of course, NIGHTMARE ALLEY), what about Dorothy B. Hughes' RIDE THE PINK HORSE...??

  Best an' all,
  ----------------------ap
  AP McQuiddy

foxbrick < foxbrick@yahoo.com> wrote:
          --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Jacques Debierue"

<steve.gerlach@> wrote:

> > Yes, I'd like to hear anyone's recommendations for this too!
>
> Here's one: "The Dreaming Jewels" by Theodore Sturgeon. Also highly
recommendable is
> everything by Sturgeon, including his collected short stories.
Some are gruesome.

Likewise, at least the following Robert Bloch works:
"The Animal Fair"
"The Double Whammy"
"The Tunnel of Love"
"The Girl from Mars" (the least of these, but still haunting) and, particularly for anyone fascinated by THE DEVIL IN THE WHITE CITY, Bloch's historical fiction about the Mudgett and the Chicago Fair, AMERICAN GOTHIC.

And, in their collaborative collection PROBLEMS SOLVED, a nice relevant grace note is struck by Bill Pronzini and Barry Malzberg's "Another Burnt-Out Case" (like "The Double Whammy" published during Ted White's editorship of what was initially Howard Browne's baby FANTASTIC).

Todd Mason

--------------------------------- Bored stiff? Loosen up... Download and play hundreds of games for free on Yahoo! Games.