Re: RE : Re: RARA-AVIS: Who changed the noir writing ?

From: Brian Thornton ( tieresias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 27 Mar 2007

Patrick-

With all due respect, the POV character is still the antagonist of the piece: the reason for the story. By definition, the "villain" is the straw that stirs the drink in these sorts of stories. And unreliable narrators are considered a no-no by many because it's possible for a lazier writer than a Lehane to cheat by using this mechanism.

As for Lehane being compared to Dan Brown on this list, I don't see that. I can't understand how pointing out (in response to complaints that he is "underappreciated") that he is one of the most widely read, most lauded, best remunerated authors in the business today, and that many authors would love to be so "underappreciated" is calling him a "hyped mediocrity."

And he's certainly no Dan Brown.

Lehane is good, and he's to be commended for not playing it either safely or comfortably, and for his willingness to take chances. BUT when you take chances, and essay something "new" or "experimental" it doesn't always work, and when it doesn't work, people are both entitled and obligated to point that out when discussing one's books, rather than treating it as a literary case of the Emperor's New Clothes.

Rara Avis is usually a pretty fair place. If anything, the folks here tend to cut many authors of lesser ability and focus than Lehane (like Mickey Spillane, who I consider unreadable) too *generous* of a break.

All the Best-

Brian